For many of us, we think back to our first mobile phone contracts and are greeted with one name: T-Mobile. The company has a history which stretches back to the very earliest days of mobile telecommunications in the UK and some truly landmark moments to celebrate.
Nevertheless, T-Mobile are no longer part of the UK’s telecoms market, having struck a deal with Orange to become EE in 2014. That deal would see the joint operation become the biggest mobile network in the UK with the best coverage, but it also meant that the two brands would disappear.
If you never switched contracts, however, you’ll still be attached to a T-Mobile contact. Unfortunately, that also means there’s not a lot of information out there about your contract, how you can contact T-Mobile and which T-Mobile services are still operational. In this guide, we’ll answer all your most pressing questions.
Can I change my contract to another T-Mobile plan?
If you’re currently on T-Mobile and want to move to an old T-Mobile plan instead of EE, you’re sadly out of luck. Since T-Mobile was rolled into EE, they’ve ensured that customers can now only move on to EE contracts. This is partly to simplify and partly to ensure that every customer gets the best deal possible. The cost of mobile data has fallen significantly and EE now offer 4G as standard, making the old T-Mobile contracts out of date.
You can find the full list of out-of-date T-Mobile contract details here, but do note that these are only for reference.
What changes have EE made to my T-Mobile plan?
EE haven’t made wholesale changes to T-Mobile customers’ plans, but they have made a couple of extremely positive tweaks. Primarily, they’ve changed the way that 116, 0800 and 0808 numbers are charged.
From the 1st of July, 2015, calls to numbers beginning with those numbers have been free to call from T-Mobile. Another change has been the pricing structures for calling numbers beginning with 08 and 09, 188 and numbers beginning with 07, which has fallen in line with EE’s pricing structure.
Can I still sign up for a You Fix contract?
For lots of T-Mobile customers, You Fix was a fantastic way to build a contract. You could specify the exact point in which you stopped paying for your contract, putting caps on things like minutes, text and data.
Unfortunately, You Fix has been cancelled alongside all other T-Mobile contracts. By checking the My EE app you can see whether you’re eligible to jump into an EE contract. Even more annoying is that EE don’t offer a similar contract.
You can, however, set a cap on your contract so that things like data, minutes or texts never go over. It’s not as flexible as the old You Fix contracts, but it nevertheless ensures that you don’t go over your contract and end up with a scary bill.
Can I still add boosters to my T-Mobile contract?
T-Mobile’s flexible boosters were often a highlight of their deals, and the good news is that if you joined or moved to a pay monthly plan after the 1st of February 2012 you can still sign up for any Flexible booster. Each costs £5.10 and they are:
- Unlimited Texts: Unlimited texts for 30 days. Text UTXT to 879
- Internet Booster: Browse the Internet from your phone. Text WEB to 879
- Unlimited Landline Talk Booster: Unlimited calls to numbers beginning 01,02 or 03. Text ULAN to 879
- Unlimited T-Mobile Talk Booster: Unlimited calls to other T-Mobile customers. Text UTMO to 879
- Europe & Australasia 5 Talk Booster: 60 minutes of calls to any of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Rep, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey. Text EUA5 to 879
- USA & Canada 5 Talk Booster. 120 minutes to call mobiles and landlines in the USA & Canada. Text USA5 to 879
- BlackBerry Email: BlackBerry email on your BlackBerry with a 50MB cap per month. Text BB1 to 879.
- International Texts Booster: An amazing 1000 texts to send to anyone in Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Canada China, Croatia, Czech Rep, Estonia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovak Rep, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago and USA, Ireland, Ghana and Turkey. Texts to premium numbers cost extra. Text EUTK5 to 879.
- Family Booster: Share unlimited calls, picture messages and texts between you and four of your family for £5.10 a month. The Family Booster has to be added online through the My Account section.